Skip to main content
Menu

Schulim Krimper

1893 – 1971

Schulim Krimper (1893-1971), furniture designer and cabinetmaker, was born in the Austro-Hungarian province of Bukovina. The son of a rabbi, he served an apprenticeship as a cabinetmaker and lived briefly in Berlin before emigrating to Australia in August 1939. Settling in Melbourne, he opened a workshop in St Kilda, and rapidly established a reputation for the superb construction of his custom-made modern furniture. Credited with elevating his craft to the level of an art, he was the subject of several one-man exhibitions in his lifetime and he was commissioned to provide the woodwork for the chapel of St Mary's College at the University of Melbourne. The NGV held a retrospective exhibition of his work in 1975. He is represented in the permanent collections of the National Gallery of Australia, the Art Gallery of South Australia and the Powerhouse Museum.

Updated 2018