Skip to main content
Menu

Stanley Argyle, 1924

Tom Glover

pen and ink on paper (sheet: 50.8 cm x 31.7 cm)

Sir Stanley Argyle (1867-1940), premier and doctor, was born in Kyneton, Victoria, and studied medicine at the University of Melbourne and at King’s College, London. Setting up as a general practitioner in Kew, in 1898 he founded the Willsmere Certificated Milk Co., of which he was a director until 1920. Mayor of Kew for two terms between 1903 and 1905, he began to specialize in X-ray work, and in 1908 he was appointed ‘medical electrician and skiagraphist’ at the Alfred Hospital. During World War I he served as skiagraphist in Cairo and as consultant radiologist to the AIF in France and England. In 1920 he won the seat of Toorak as an independent, and he served as chief secretary and minister of health from late 1924 to late 1929; during that period he was director of radiology at the Alfred Hospital. From 1930 to 1940, having given up his medical practice, he was leader of the Nationalist and then the United Australia Party (the former became the latter in 1931). As premier from 1932 he introduced emergency measures including below-award rates and work for the dole to bring Victorians out of the Depression; but a deal struck between the Labor and Country parties saw him lose the premiership in 1935. After his death his integrity was widely praised.

Tom Glover came from New Zealand to Sydney to work for the Bulletin and the Sun, becoming a leading caricaturist before dying in his Sun office at the age of 45.

Collection: National Portrait Gallery
Purchased 2012

Accession number: 2012.181

Currently not on display

Copyright image request form
Request a digital copy of an image for publication

Artist and subject

Tom Glover (age 33 in 1924)

Sir Stanley Seymour Argyle (age 57 in 1924)

© National Portrait Gallery 2019
King Edward Terrace, Parkes
Canberra, ACT 2600, Australia


Phone +61 2 6102 7000
Fax +61 2 6102 7001
ABN: 54 74 277 1196
The National Portrait Gallery acknowledges the Ngunnawal people, the traditional custodians of the land upon which the NPG stands.