Skip to main content

The National Portrait Gallery is temporarily closed to the public until further notice.

Menu

The National Portrait Gallery acknowledges the Traditional Custodians of Country throughout Australia and recognises the continuing connection to lands, waters and communities. We pay our respect to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultures and to Elders both past and present.

Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander viewers are warned that this website contains images of deceased persons.

David Mitchell

1903 (later reworked)
Ada Whiting

watercolour on ivory (frame: 10.5 cm x 7.5 cm, sight: 9.0 cm x 7.0 cm)

David Mitchell (1829-1916), builder, contractor and businessman, arrived in Melbourne in mid-1852 in the Anna. He worked as a mason and built a shanty in Burnley Street, Richmond; the site was to remain the centre of his various business ventures over the next four decades. In 1856 he married and built a new home, Doonside, on the block. Having won the tender for the masonry work in St Patrick's Cathedral, Eastern Hill, in early 1856, he worked there until mid-1858, when the structure was demolished to be rebuilt with WW Wardell as architect. From that time on, among a great many large structures, Mitchell built the Menzies Hotel in William Street (1857), Scots Church, Collins Street (1873-74) and the Presbyterian Ladies' College, East Melbourne (1874). Meanwhile, by 1859 he had established a factory for steam-made and pressed bricks at Burnley Street; in 1874 he became a shareholder in the Melbourne Builders' Lime and Cement Co; and by 1878 he had bought Cave Hill farm at Lilydale and began working its limestone deposits, later also handling the distribution. During the 1870s he employed 400 men on his greatest venture, the Exhibition Building, which opened in 1880. In 1888 his Richmond workshops were destroyed by fire. In the rebuilt works he conducted two new ventures, the production of 'Adamant' plaster and, with RD Langley as a partner, a Portland cement factory using materials from Lilydale. In 1890 he formed a company to mine a channel and tunnel on the Yarra River at Pound Bend, Warrandyte, and employed gangs of Chinese men to work some 5 km of riverbed for gold. By 1894 he had cheese, butter, bacon, ham and soap factories at Cave Hill. He retired from building in 1899 and concentrated on his other business interests, including vineyards and wineries at Yeringberg, Coldstream and St Hubert's, and several large stations in various districts, most of which were subdivided and sold. A Presbyterian, he was a long-time member of Scots Church choir. He played the violin at home and encouraged the talents of his daughter Helen, later Dame Nellie Melba, but even when she became world famous he did not praise her singing openly. The father of ten, he was a widower for more than thirty years.

Gift of the Mitchell Family 2012

The National Portrait Gallery respects the artistic and intellectual property rights of others. Works of art from the collection are reproduced as per the Australian Copyright Act 1968 (Cth). The use of images of works from the collection may be restricted under the Act. Requests for a reproduction of a work of art can be made through a Reproduction request. For further information please contact NPG Copyright.

Artist and subject

Ada Whiting (age 44 in 1903)

David Mitchell (age 74 in 1903)

Subject professions

Business, trades and industry

Donated by

John Mitchell (1 portrait)

Related information

The Companion

Permanent collection catalogue

Café and shop

On one level The Companion talks about the most famous and frontline Australians, but on another it tells us about ourselves: who we read, who we watch, who we listen to, who we cheer for, who we aspire to be, and who we'll never forget. The Companion is available to buy online and in the Portrait Gallery Store.

The National Portrait Gallery building front entrance
The National Portrait Gallery building front entrance
The National Portrait Gallery building front entrance
The National Portrait Gallery building front entrance

The Gallery

Visit us, learn with us, support us or work with us! Here’s a range of information about planning your visit, our history and more!

The National Portrait Gallery building at night
The National Portrait Gallery building at night
The National Portrait Gallery building at night
The National Portrait Gallery building at night

Support your Portrait Gallery

We depend on your support to keep creating our programs, exhibitions, publications and building the amazing portrait collection!

© National Portrait Gallery 2021
King Edward Terrace, Parkes
Canberra, ACT 2600, Australia

Phone +61 2 6102 7000
Fax +61 2 6102 7001
ABN: 54 74 277 1196

The National Portrait Gallery acknowledges the Traditional Custodians of Country throughout Australia and recognises the continuing connection to lands, waters and communities. We pay our respect to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultures and to Elders past and present. We respectfully advise that this site includes works by, images of, names of, voices of and references to deceased people.

This website comprises and contains copyrighted materials and works. Copyright in all materials and/or works comprising or contained within this website remains with the National Portrait Gallery and other copyright owners as specified.

The National Portrait Gallery respects the artistic and intellectual property rights of others. The use of images of works of art reproduced on this website and all other content may be restricted under the Australian Copyright Act 1968 (Cth). Requests for a reproduction of a work of art or other content can be made through a Reproduction request. For further information please contact NPG Copyright.

The National Portrait Gallery is an Australian Government Agency