Skip to main content
Menu

Melbourne University with six portraits of Melbourne Anglican clergymen; Bishop Perry, Rev Clarke, Rev. Waugh, Rev. Henderson, Rev. Dr Cairns, Rev. Bailey, c. 1871

Paterson Brothers

carte de visite photograph (support: 10.1 cm x 6.2 cm)

Charles Perry (1807–1891) was consecrated the first Bishop of Melbourne at Westminster Abbey in 1847, only eleven years after he was ordained into the Anglican church. When he arrived in Melbourne in 1848 the diocese had a population of 43,000, but pastoral work was handled by just three chaplains based in Melbourne, Geelong and Portland. A supporter of the participation of lay people in the church, Perry alleviated the shortage of clergy by appointing colonists as readers. In 1850, along with five other Australasian bishops, Perry advocated self-governance of the Australian Anglican Church, leading to the establishment of the first synod of the Anglican Church in Australia in 1856. During the population explosion of the mid-1860s Perry put a case that led to the creation of the Ballarat diocese in 1873. While he was considered a traditionalist, he lectured frequently in the 1860s on the need for the Church to engage with new scientific theories. He returned to England in early 1874 and continued to serve the church until his death in 1891.

Collection: National Portrait Gallery
Purchased 2010

Accession number: 2010.42

Currently not on display

Copyright image request form
Request a digital copy of an image for publication

Artist and subject

Paterson Brothers

Dr Charles Perry (age 64 in 1871)

Subject professions

Religion

© National Portrait Gallery 2020
King Edward Terrace, Parkes
Canberra, ACT 2600, Australia


Phone +61 2 6102 7000
Fax +61 2 6102 7001
ABN: 54 74 277 1196
The National Portrait Gallery acknowledges the Ngunnawal people, the traditional custodians of the land upon which the NPG stands.