Skip to main content
Menu

Professor Leslie Wilkinson
, 1970

by Anthony Browell

gelatin silver photograph (sheet: 48.2 cm x 39.0 cm, sheet: 37.1 cm x 29.0 cm)

Leslie Wilkinson (1882-1973), architect, was born in London, where he was apprenticed to a stained-glass designer before enrolling in architecture at the Royal Academy. Graduating in outstanding fashion in 1906, by 1908 he had been appointed to an assistant professorship at the London University School of Architecture. In 1918 he was invited to take up the first Chair in Architecture at the University of Sydney. From 1920, in addition to his academic duties, he carried out many commissions as the University Architect; his legacy includes much of the main Quadrangle, the Physics Building, the Anderson Stuart Building extension and the Botany School extension, and he was responsible for the relocation of the facades of the Commercial Banking Company from George Street to the university. Wilkinson's many honours and awards include the Sulman Prizes of 1935 and 1942. In 1960 he was awarded the first Gold Medal of the Royal Australian Institute of Architects.

Collection: National Portrait Gallery
Purchased 1999
Accession number: 1999.75