Skip to main content
Menu

First Legislative Council of Victoria

The First Legislative Council of Victoria was formed following Victoria’s separation from New South Wales in July 1851. Consisting of thirty members – twenty elected and the remainder the Lieutenant-Governor’s appointees – the inaugural Legislative Council met for the first time on 13 November 1851 at St Patrick’s Hall on Bourke Street, which remained the government’s home until the completion of Parliament House in March 1856.

Updated 2018