Skip to main content
Menu

Elliott and Fry

active 1863 – 1963

Elliott & Fry, a photography studio and photographic film manufacturer, was founded in 1863 at 55-56 Baker Street, London by Joseph John Elliott and Clarence Edmund Fry. For a century the firm took and published photographs of leading social, artistic, scientific and political figures as well as the general public. By the 1880s the company was operating three studios and four large storehouses of negatives. It employed a number of photographers, including Francis Henry Hart and Alfred James Philpott around the turn of the century, Herbert Lambert and Walter Benington in the 1920s and 1930s and William Flowers later. During World War 2 the studio was bombed and most of the early negatives were lost; the National Portrait Gallery, London has all its surviving negatives.

Updated 2018