Skip to main content
Menu

A. D. Colquhoun

1894 – 1983

AD (Archibald Douglas) Colquhoun studied art with his father Alexander, a Glasgow-born painter and critic living in Melbourne, and also at the NGV School and in classes with Max Meldrum. Travelling in Europe during the 1920s he exhibited at several Paris and London salons. On his return to Melbourne in 1927 he established an art school at which he promoted the tonal approach to painting exhorted by Meldrum. He and his wife Amalie, also a painter and stained glass designer, ran the school together until 1950. Colquhoun's work is represented in the AGNSW, the QAG, the NGV and a number of regional galleries.

Updated 2018