After Dark Portrait Party
For one night only, experience the Portrait Gallery like never before with a late night birthday party curated by Dionysus and Chenoeh Miller. In honour of us turning 20, this 18+ only event will feature:
- Party portraits on arrival
- Classic hits from house band The Exhibitionists inspired by classic Australian films like The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert, Muriel’s Wedding, The Sapphires
- House music and mash-ups by Doppel and Dead DJ Joke
- Lots of performances of the highlights of Starstruck movies
- A dance competition to turn up the heat on the dancefloor – join if you dare!
- Free access to the exhibition Starstruck: Australian Movie Portraits (usually $12) and the Gallery’s collection between 8 and 9pm
- Film screenings of Strictly Ballroom and The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert
- Drinks and snacks available all night from the bar
Kicking off from 8pm until 1am, this is your chance to be part of the scene. Dress for your party portrait!
Supported by Robert Oatley
$15 / $10 Circle of Friends
$25 at the door
Australian Movie Portraits
until Sunday 4 March 2018
Striking, beautiful portraiture comes out of the most thoroughly documented creative process there is – filmmaking. In a ground-breaking collaboration the National Portrait Gallery and National Film and Sound Archive invite you into this captivating realm between real and fictional worlds.
Collection display galleries
The collection display includes a wide selection of portraits that tell extraordinary stories of encounter, exploration, independence, individuality and achievement in Australia. Visitors to the Gallery can follow the development of portraiture from oil painting to digital media.Entry is free.