- images of over 1700 portraits from the collection
- text from over 100 articles about portraits – from Portrait magazine
- videos of over 50 interviews with artists and subjects
- by gallery – up-to-date information about what’s on display
- by theme
- shake to shuffle
- search by artist, sitter or title of the portrait
Special features for when you visit the National Portrait Gallery in person:
- nearby mode – display portraits near you
- recognition mode – access a digital portrait by scanning the real thing
Download Portrait Stories for free from the iTunes store – or visit the Gallery in person to borrow a device.
Portrait Stories works beautifully on:
- iPad mini
- iPhone (from 4s onward)
So that it can serve you the most up-to-date information about the portraits and people in the Gallery, the app depends on an internet connection.
When you visit the Gallery in person, use our wifi – and to take advantage of the app’s ‘nearby’ mode, enable location services and turn on Bluetooth.
We’ll keep developing the app, so if there are features you’d like to see – or problems you encounter – let us know.